Saturday, September 24, 2011

Want to become backpacker again soon!!


Cafe at Hostel

Apart from the beautiful Scottish landscapes my recent holiday introduced me to budget travel and backpacking. The four days of travel were very different from the family holidays and tours we are used to in India. Must say I am looking forward to become a backpacker again!

Unlike in India, booking a tour did not mean I was offered a ‘posh’ hotel and three meals of the day with services to carry my luggage and local transport. It was fun to learn to travel light, which is so impossible for us Indians. I was amazed to see how western travellers manage to travel for weeks and months with a small suitcase or a travel sack. Here I was with a similar bag travelling for four days.
Travel wagon shaped bar

It was a pleasant surprise to enjoy the ambience that backpacking provides with the company of fellow travellers from different countries. So we had Team Australia, Team China, Team Turkey, Team Korea, etc on our bus. Having read about budget hotels as a professional, I had some idea what backpacking hostels would offer. The most happening part of the hostel was the pub or the cafe where travellers would relax after an early dinner. The self catering kitchen was ready with cutlery, utensils and chopping boards for those who fancy cooking. The lounge was a perfect setting to play cards or for net surfing.

The hostel I stayed in Edinburgh offered complimentary walking tours, pub crawl and pool competitions. It was this walking tour that I realised such hostels also employ backpackers who earn while travelling. Our walking tour guide was a Canadian student on a break, travelling around Europe with Edinburgh as his base.  He is in the city for 10 months, has travelled around Europe, UK and works at the hostel.  “What a wonderful life. I would love to become backpacker like him”, I thought.

1 comment:

Debarati Karan Dhar said...

Hey Tejal... enjoyed reading....its so different altogether when travelling is concerned...its so simple yet has its elements of fun and sounds enjoyable.....wud love to be backpacker sometime...enjoy!!

Debarati