Saturday, July 2, 2011

The humble scrambled egg


When I was preparing to come to London one of my friend insisted, go and enjoy the English breakfast there. I always had fetish for hash browns, had tasted baked beans and of course the scrambled eggs. My first English breakfast was as expected, enjoyable and filling. Eating that lovely breakfast on the street side cafe under the bright sun was relaxing.

As always I did not to finish the scrambled eggs soon. Eggs have always been a part of my diet. Mother makes them in different ways, dry egg bhaji, egg omelette, half fry, egg curry and egg bhurji. Egg bhurji is a spiced version of the known scrambled eggs. My all time favourite is the simple scrambled egg. Don't know if I make it as per the prescribed recipe, but I love scrambled egg sprinkled with black pepper powder. Its my first choice whenever I go for buffet breakfast. On the other hand egg bhurji has its own place. I like to eat the hot bhurji made in iron wok or tava, as we call it, with hot chapati. The smell of tava bhurji been prepared on the roadside stalls in Mumbai mesmerizes you. The site of people crowding these stalls and hearing of clanging sound of the wok is common to us Mumbaikars.
Its the same with egg omelettes. I prefer plain omelettes instead of the spicy ones prepared with onion, tomatoes, chillies and coriander. Not to forget the yummy Tibbs egg frankie that becomes your saviour at the Churchgate station. Wrap, eggs, little of chat masala, soya sauce makes one of the yummiest frankies that I have ever eaten. I remembered all this I was relishing another filling omelette breakfast at one of the cafes in Kingston.

No comments: