Sunday, August 14, 2011

Enduring faith in Indian values and parenting


The following article Raised to rampage, made me write this blog and further endorsed my faith in the Indian values and parenting. Pointing towards timid adults and fearless children, the article blames the parents for the UK having ‘most indisciplined and frighteningly moronic youngsters in Europe’.

It is the same fear that instilled disciplined and taught us values. As kids everyone of us was scared of mother, father, or some elder. It was a daunting task to hide those low grades, complaints or mischief from parents or elders for the fear of been punished or scolded. In return were encouraged to obey and respect elders, not to misbehave and still enjoy the joy of childhood. Once my friend mentioned about her professor stamping on the stack of lecture notes while teaching when an Indian student interrupted and asked him not to do that as Indians consider books as god. Another friend working in a fast food chain regularly narrates incidences of how children throw away money while paying for their favourite fries and Diet Coke.

Early days in London we use to adore chubby kids moving around in buggies on the streets and buses. My friend said ‘don’t adore them so much, the same kid will become a spoilt brat when he grows up’. His comment in a sense summed up the youngsters in general we observe here. As many now opine, the youngsters here can use their freedom and independence constructively to show dissent for the right cause instead of looting shops for frivolous reasons. One needs to reflect why opinion leaders have to emphasise parents to ask tough questions to their children.

We in India have always been given examples of how youth in the western countries start living independently and work from young age. But I believe what we forget is –With freedom comes responsibility. My stay in London tells me, sure youth here are independent and free but lack responsibilities: Responsibility towards their parents, elders, friends and society at large. I admit this freedom allows you to become independent and manage yourself better. I would not have learned many things had I not lived away from home. But the biggest test is to enjoy this freedom with a sense of responsibility and gratitude towards others.
It makes me wonder what must be the relationship between parents/ mother and children when mother of a 14 yr old kid scolds her friend for disturbing her sleep when her son was seen in the riot prone area past mid-night. This is when the memory of my mother waiting late night till I return from work becomes special.

1 comment:

jeanne @ Inspiring Ideas said...

Parenting is tricky. I'm still at the early stages and I pray I do it "right."