Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Sometimes is it good not to be ‘socially connected’?


I was enjoying an ice-cream at Leicester Square when a friend from India called and scolded me for not answering her mail. Reason – she was worried after reading reports of riots in London. I was totally clueless about the latest incidences till I reached home to find my room-mates following the London mayhem on-line.

I knew about riots in North London but for some reason was not ‘glued to my lappy’ to know the details. I was at central London when I noticed some missed calls from friends and relatives in London and Mumbai. A friend informed me about some disturbance at Oxford Circus, the same area I had passed barely half an hour ago. The Oxford Street was as usual buzzing with shoppers and tourists. I noticed a police car screeching away while leaving the area but thoughts of riots in that area never crossed my mind. Harrods, London's famous luxury department stores, was also crowded with shoppers and tourists alike.

I figured my lack of knowledge about the fresh violence was that I was not ‘socially connected’. I don’t use a smart phone and hence was not twitting, updating FB messages or checking in places through Four Square application while enjoying a day out with a friend. This disconnection had kept me away from the panic, confusion, concern, discussion on the internet from policing in London to the fate of India-England test match. Later I came across reports and comments on how BBM was seen as one of the reason for spreading the violence. I stumbled upon this skype interview http://www.firstpost.com/world/how-blackberry-messenger-was-used-to-organize-londons-riots-57418.html , which discussed about BBM’s role in the London riots.

No doubt social networking, internet and technology are playing a greater role in every aspect of life. It’s not even a month since Mumbai was yet again rocked by bomb blasts, one of which was very near to my home (http://tejaldeshpande.blogspot.com/2011/07/when-terror-memories-hound-you.html). I was first informed about the incidence and my family’s well-being only through the net. Today also I am seeing how people are comments and organising messages online, which is a positive sign. I have seen riots and bomb blasts in Mumbai and am now in London for almost a year. This kind of riots and looting needs to be condemned and is not justified. But still I thought to myself – Sometimes is it good not to be ‘socially connected’?

No comments: